We walk by all sorts of statues and monuments every day, our eyes accustomed to the sight. But as we look at them, we don’t always realize that they are looking back at us. Do you ever wonder how a monument sees you? We brought our video drone along for a walk around Yerevan and took some areal shots, getting as close to the statues’ eyes as possible. Here’s what we saw.
How monuments see us
A monument to architect Alexander Tamanian (1974, architect S. Petrosyan, sculptor A. Hovsepyan) stands in the very heart of Yerevan, at the giant stairway called the Cascade. The slabs of stone that Tamanian leans against symbolize ancient and the new architecture, while Tamanian himself unites the two epochs.
The statue of David of Sassoun (1959, sculptor Yervand Kochar, architect Mikael Mazmanian), one of Yervand Kochar’s masterpieces, is a symbol of Yerevan. It was installed in 1959 at the Sasuntsi Davit Square, in front of the railway station. David of Sassoun is the main hero of Armenia's national epic “Daredevils of Sassoun” (dated 7th-8th century), who drove Arab invaders out of Armenia. David personifies the vitality, emotional charge and aspirations of the Armenian people.
A duplicate of the statue of French painter Jules Bastien-Lepage (19th century, sculptor Auguste Rodin). The statue was a gift from then-President of France Nicolas Sarkozy for the 20th anniversary of Armenia’s independence. The statue stands at one of Yerevan’s busiest squares - the Square of France.
The equestrian monument to the Soviet military commander, marshal of the Armor Corps Ivan (Hovhannes) Baghramyan (2003, sculptor N. Karganyan, architect E. Arevshatyan) was raised at the very center of Yerevan on Marshal Baghramyan Avenue. According to the sculptor Norair Karganyan, the Soviet marshal is portrayed “in the prime of his life and military glory.”
A monument to the great Armenian composer Komitas (Soghomon Soghomonian) (1988, sculptor Ara Harutyunyan, architect F. Darbinyan) stands at the center of a public garden next to the Komitas State Conservatory of Yerevan.
The monument to the great Armenian writer, educator and founder of the new Armenian literature Khachatur Abovian (1950, sculptor S. Stepanyan, architect G. Tamanyan) stands in the center of the Abovian public garden.
Monument to the writer, commentator and revolutionary democrat, the founder of Armenian literary realism Mikael Nalbandian (1965, sculptor N. Nikogosyan, architect G. Torosyan) stands on the Ring Boulevard at the corner of Khanjyan and Nalbandian streets.
The monument to Andrei Sakharov (2001, sculptor T. Arzumanyan, architect L. Galumyan) was unveiled at the center of the eponymous square in 2001 in honor of the 80th anniversary of the great humanitarian’s birth. During the Nagorno-Karabakh crisis, Sakharov supported the rightful claims of Karabakh Armenians.